One of Quebec's prominent architects, Ludger Lumieux, designed what is now known as the Elpro building circa 1895. Lumieux also designed several notable structures in St-Henri and is best known for the Atwater market and the St-Henri fire station.
Proximity to the Lachine Canal and rail transport made St Henri an attractive place for manufacturers to settle. The Tooke Brothers, who were manufactures of shirts and collars, opened their doors in the 1890s and created more than 600 jobs.
St Henri was never fully able to recover from the economic crash of the 1930s. The Tooke Brothers decided to move to cap-de-la Madeleine allowing another shirt manufacturer, the Grover's, to open its doors.
In 1986, the Grover building was sold to another manufacturer of leather products known as Elpro International Inc. By the early 1990s, Elpro International Inc. had become one of the leading importers of handbags and luggage.
In May of 2012, Elpro International Inc. closed its doors after 60 years in business.
The Elpro building has since been converted into commercial lofts. Exposed bricks, original hardwood floors and high ceilings are all features that highlight its exceptional heritage value and character.
St. Henri is going through a renaissance & is fast becoming a neighbourhood with a promising future.
Located near the city center and surrounded by services, ElproLofts is the ideal place to set up your business.